Thursday, September 26, 2013

"Back When I was in School..."

I realize that by sharing some of this I am inviting criticism because it could potentially reveal my age, but I think it is timely and important. When I was in Kindergarten, I distinctly remember being considered a "high reader" because I could independently turn pages of Dr. Seuss and other classics while "reading" them accurately to other children. I also remember receiving compliments on my "wonderful" writing which consisted of words with simple beginning and ending sound (sometimes correct and sometimes not.) I don't believe that the school system I was in was behind the times or upholding low expectations, it was simply a different time in literacy education, and every other kind.

A few other things I distinctly remember from my childhood mark the turning of the tide for not only our culture, but education as well. First, I recall exactly where I was and the cock-eyed pigtails I was sporting when my mom tried to explain that my Uncle Hal had just gotten a "bag-phone" for business. My small mind and mouth bombarded her with questions about how a phone like this could work if it wasn't plugged in and why someone would ever want to talk on the phone anywhere but from home (in this moment my iPhone is vibrating an email notification.) I also remember our first computer as a family. It was a step above the Apple II e that I had grown found of jamming black bendy "disks" into at school. This screen was in color. And as far as I was concerned, creating imaginary "Wibbles" made this machine worth the space and money investment for my family.

And now, zooming ahead, as an educator I find myself communicating with my colleagues almost constantly, via text, email, tweet and phone. I am expected to share information with my student's families in many of those ways and maintain and updated classroom website. My filing cabinet was full of graham crackers for the last 3 years, and my desktop was "overflowing" with shared files. I often stand in front of a "smart" board rather than a chalk or whiteboard, manipulating words, shapes, and the internet in front of my students. It is a different time.

Lucy Calkins (2010) explains; "Today's information age requires that young people develop literacy skills that are significantly higher that those that have ever been required of them- and this education needs to be for all students, not just for the elite."

This is so powerful to me, because Calkins is acknowledging the change and the challenge for us, but there is no room for belly-aching. If you aren't comfortable, or the student doesn't speak English, or the standardized tests are paper & pencil.....(or whatever other excuse comes to mind) it's out! This is our charge. Regardless of if our students grow up to be doctors or custodians, professional athletes, politicians, sales clerks or mechanics, we need to help them be more than just literate. Students of today need to be Multi-literate problem-solvers with a head full of knowledge about the world and the tools that are available to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment